The most important part of the move is the planning of “resources”. You will need packaging for items and furniture, vehicles for their transportation, help from special services and, if you do not involve a moving company, support from friends and acquaintances. Below you will find our tips and tricks that will help you competently and quickly organize all the resources necessary for moving.
Materials for packing property when moving
Careful packing of things with the help of quality materials is a prerequisite for their safety during loading and unloading and transportation to a new apartment. So that you can choose the best packaging option, it is important to understand the purpose, as well as the pros and cons of the most popular types of packaging materials.
- Stretch film. It is elastic and easily extensible, thanks to this it is tightly wound around furniture, appliances, personal items, protecting them from getting wet and pollution. However, the film does not protect property from damage during falling, it is easy to tear with sharp corners. It will not protect expensive furniture, fragile porcelain and is used mainly as an additional outer layer on solid boxes.
- Bags. Perhaps the most affordable type of packaging, which you can buy in ordinary supermarkets. When folded, they are compact, weigh very little and are relatively inexpensive. However, packing items in bags is inconvenient – because of the soft form, it is impossible to pack everything in the correct order. Such a container is suitable only for voluminous clothes or soft toys, and other objects can break through it. The weight in the bags is distributed unevenly, so with the declared 25-30 kg, they can withstand no more than 15 kg. Things in them are not protected from damage due to shock or friction. Bags are inconvenient to carry and place in the back of the car during transportation. Another disadvantage is the difficulty of labeling.
- Boxes. The most suitable packaging, which, although it costs more than bags, protects the contents from bumps, scratches. Things in them can be neatly laid out, and the container itself – marked. You need to choose specialized boxes for moving. They are made from durable, multi-layered technical cardboard, they withstand transportation and transfers, unlike conventional storage boxes.
Do not forget – you need to protect the decoration of the premises (especially doorways), as well as the ends of the furniture. To do this, there are profiles and corners. For unpacking you will need a clerical knife or other cutting tool.
Transport for transporting things
If you arrange the move yourself, agree in advance with the transport company that will provide the car. It is important to pick up a car with a cargo bay, sufficient to fit all the property in it, but not too spacious so that you do not overpay for the extra volume.
When choosing a transport you need to consider the following factors:
- the access roads for cars at both addresses – barriers, underground parking lots, arches and other structures can impose restrictions on the height of the body and, accordingly, the type of car;
- the size of the furniture and large items – the height of the van depends on them;
- Be sure to make sure that the van of the car you have chosen is equipped with fasteners (fixing belts) for safe transportation;
- when loading heavy, bulky items weighing, it is convenient to use a car with tail lift – a kind of “elevator”;
Pay attention to all these details when choosing a vehicle. If you are not sure that you can choose the type of transport you need, the volume of the body, and calculate the exact time of the car, contact the managers of a professional moving company. Prepare the most detailed description of the task – a complete list of things and the conditions for the work. Employees of a moving company will pick up cars and tell you what they should be. Support for a moving service is also beneficial because the company bears material responsibility for the property when moving and its employees closely monitor the safety of your property.
Relocation is extremely difficult to organize solely on your own. If you contact a moving service, its staff will help you. Otherwise, you will need the support of acquaintances, relatives or friends. Make a list of those who can help collect and transport things. Find out from your relatives exactly if they agree or have time on the appointed day – you may need to postpone the move to another date. Think about how you will act in force majeure situations, if the assistants suddenly cannot come, think about a “Plan B” for yourself.
If you are not contacting a moving company that provides comprehensive support when moving, but to ordinary movers, approach their choice as responsibly as possible. Illegal carriers are dangerous not only with questionable skills, but also with the risk of theft, damage to things. After choosing a contractor, make sure that he provides the necessary guarantees: a contract will be concluded, the material liability of the contractor will be indicated, you will receive freight forwarding and transport bills, with which the property is officially accepted for transportation.
In addition to movers, you may need cleaners to help clean up the house after moving or prepare a new residence for settlement, computer masters, Internet service providers, etc.
To make the move easier, try to determine in advance whose support you will use and which moving company you prefer. It depends on the choice of a partner whether your belongings will be protected, how much trouble awaits you, whether you will receive guarantees. The company Titan Relocation Moving Company will do everything to make the transportation of property a simple, easy task and the new apartment as soon as possible become a cozy and comfortable house.