So, you have to move. The date is determined, cars and movers are ordered. It’s time to start the most time-consuming part of the move – packing things. It would seem that it is a simple matter, but in reality you need to take into account a lot of points. After all, it is the correct and reliable packaging that will ensure the safety of your furniture and things, simplify loading and unloading, as well as unpacking things, which means adaptation in a new place. Based on many years of experience and proven packaging technology of our customers’ property, we have compiled a list of important aspects and simple rules. They will allow you to optimize the process of the entire move significantly
Selection of packaging materials
The first thing to decide is, of course, the packaging materials. Poor quality or inappropriate packaging specifications will nullify all your further efforts. We have repeatedly written about what should be the optimal packaging when moving. You can read more about the different types, pluses and minuses of the package, as well as where it can be purchased, in this article, for example.
- The most universal type of packaging is specialized boxes made of dense multilayer corrugated cardboard, with detailed fields for marking.
- An important point – you should provide materials for different tasks. In addition to standard boxes of various sizes and duct tape, stretch film, wardrobe boxes for transporting clothes on a coat hanger, air bubble film, protective profiles and “corners” may be required.
If it is difficult for you to calculate the required amount of packaging, simply use the convenient online calculator or contact the manager of our company for help.
Marking will help you to facilitate the process of unpacking property in a new house as much as possible.
- If the boxes you purchased do not have special fields for marking, then do not be too lazy to put marks on your own. The more detailed you sign the box, the more convenient it will be to search for the necessary items. Indicate the room / room from which these things were collected; piece of furniture (things from a chest of drawers, a closet or a bedside table, for example), type of things (clothes, dishes, documents) and to whom of the family they belong.
- Additionally you can use different colors of tape or markers, giving each room its own color. So even with a cursory glance at the box it will be clear – the things from which premises are packed into it.
- Mark packages with fragile, breaking objects with the inscription “glass” or special icons.
- All boxes must be signed on several sides.
Do not neglect this simple rule! Be sure to make a numbered list of all boxes with a brief indication of what is packed where. Such a document will also help you out a lot on the day of moving (it is convenient to check against it whether everything has been loaded it into the car, whether all things have reached the new address), and after that it will save a lot of time and effort in finding the right little thing.
How to pack
So, you have chosen a quality container. The moment of packaging has come.
- Watch the weight of the boxes, do not overload them. This is both an inconvenience when moving them, and the risk of rupture.
- The general principle for packing any items: put heavier things on the bottom of the box, and on top you can place something lighter.
- Medium-sized boxes are suitable for packing light bulk items – clothes, bedding, children’s toys.
- It is better to pack dishes, books, and other heavier items in smaller boxes to prevent overloading.
- It is better to pack and transport clothes “on shoulders” in wardrobe boxes – nothing will be forgotten or become dirty.
- Fragile objects, dishes, vases, secure with several layers of air bubble film, fix it with adhesive tape, only then carefully put it into the boxes.
- Small indoor plants in pots just put into a box of a suitable size, filling the gaps between them with wrapping paper, for example. The main thing is to monitor the temperature during transportation!
How to prepare furniture for transportation
Cabinets and racks that will not pass in height in an elevator or car, so it is better to disassemble them before transportation. Be sure to mark all the elements, mark the top and bottom, securely attach a dense package with small fittings directly to the furniture – so nothing will be lost and not mixed up. It is better to invite professionals to disassemble and pack the built-in furniture or furniture with a complex construct.
Household appliance packaging
- Televisions and monitors should be wrapped with air bubble film, and then corrugated cardboard, corners – additionally strengthened. The screen will protect an additional sheet of cardboard, place it in the first layer, before the film.
- If your refrigerator requires “defrosting”, take care of this in advance. Then remove all containers, shelves and drawers. Lock the door – use paper tape for this. You can protect the walls with cardboard and film. Remember – the refrigerator is always transported in an upright position.
- Small appliances should be wrapped in several layers of “bubbles”, then simply put each item into a suitable box.
- Wires and cables are optimally packaged together with the items to which they relate (television – with a TV, from a laptop – with a laptop).
In general, collecting and packing things is not such a difficult task, although it is rather energy-intensive and requires a certain skill. If you are not ready to allocate enough time and energy for self-packing of property, we can take on these chores.
We will professionally calculate the required amount of each type of packaging, deliver the boxes in advance or on the day of moving, pack everything securely, mark it, load it into a car and transfer it to a new address. For your convenience, specialists can also help with unpacking and layout of things in places, and after that they will take out all the used packaging materials.